Starting your own business
Are you wondering how to make it work?
Do you wonder if it fits around the children?
Many mothers have gone before you, and … it can be done. But not everyone can do it, and it does require a lot of initiative, self-motivation and persistence.
However, don’t despair, there is lots of help out there. Many mums are willing to share their experiences and lots of them have set up forums, websites, training and networking to help women like you.
Information and advice for women that are thinking about starting a business
- Astia – provides capital investment for high-growth start-ups, community of entrepreneurs, support for women leaders
- Businessplusbaby.com – free on-line articles, blog and great inspirational stories by mums who started a business with a baby
- Centre of Excellence for Women Entrepreneurship – networking, training and support for women entrepreneurs offered by East London University
- CEO mums – Workshops and one-to-one VIP programmes for career-committed, entrepreneurial and self-employed mothers on authentic work-life balance, starting a lifestyle business and career coaching.
- Corporate Crossovers– coaching, courses and free on-line articles and video’s for women who left corporate to set up their own business
- Evenet – Information hub for women entrepreneurs and senior women in corporates, resources, articles and events
- The NextWomen – free on-line business magazine for female internet heroes
- Motivating Mum – local practical support and advice for mums in business, in Wimbledon, Kingston, Chiswick, Putney
Outset Online – free interactive step-by-step programme that guides participants through the stages of starting their own business. Includes video tutorials, worksheets, and online support forum. Free access in 2015, funded by the UK charity, The Outset Foundation.
- MumPlusBusiness – free on-line innovative service to help mothers succeed in forming business partnerships with other local mothers
- KindredHQ – For free-lancers, lots of tips and resources on setting up at home, shared office space meet-ups in London
- Start Up Britain – Government campaign aimed at stimulating new business, offer (free) events, links and special discount offers. Special help and funding with getting you on the high street
- Family Friendly Working – Advice, tips and blogs on starting your own flexible business as a mother, including info on franchising and direct selling
- The Mumpreneur Guide – book with friendly advice and guidance on starting a successful business at low-cost, blog with advice, and business mentoring
- The Pickle Shed – local coaching groups for women changing their life, returning to work or starting a business, 1-2-1 coaching too
- Mumpreneur – support network for mums in business
- Mumsclub – free on-line networking and support for business mums, ‘how to’ guides, business opportunities for working from home (franchises, direct-selling), forum (for premium members only), awards for business mums, business mums journal (in Dorset & Birmingham)
- Prowess 2.0 – Women’s Business – free on-line articles, support and information for women in business, not-for-profit, formerly advising the government on Women in Enterprise
- Skyline – office and concierge services, offer a selection tool on their site that helps you find small business ideas
- Small business – women in business – free research, articles and guidance for all and a good quality section for women
- Shesingenious – support for women with new ideas and products
- Women unlimited – the best resources for female entrepreneurs, and those who are thinking about starting their own business, advice and short courses on IT and social media
- Women outside the box – networking (online and Face to Face), resources and jobs (franchises, direct selling) for women in Bristol, Bath and Wiltshire (South West England)
- Work from home wisdom – blogs, advice and workshops on working from home
Great resources for women that are thinking about starting a business
- The first UK Guide to Finance for Women, by Prowess 2.0, free 21 page e-book with: overview of all ways of financing your business, pro’s and con’s of each, likeliness to succeed at receiving funding, exercises in dealing with your own financial psychology
- Find your light bulb, book by Mike Harris, – inspirational if you are thinking about your own business. It helps you discover your own idea, worth millions, and make it happen.
- Never too late to be great, book by Tom Butler-Bowdon – inspiring and motivating you to follow your passion and start your business after 40, 50 or 60!
- Start your Dream Business – book with inspirational stories about women (and men) that started and made it a success
- ICL – web-based and online marketing training for small businesses and self-employed individuals in the UK, Scotland, free of charge
Shared offices, co-working and hubs
- Hubworking – Pay as you go meeting rooms, London (Liverpool Street, Victoria, Monument)
- Jelly UK – Brings homeworkers, free-lancers and entrepreneurs together in a co-working space, across the UK
- The Thinking Bus, Farnham – affordable flexible workspaces and creche
- The Third Door, London, Putney, SW18 – flexible workspaces, meeting rooms and on-site nursery
- The Hub, London, Islington – office space for social entrepreneurs and innovative start-ups, with 30 co-working spaces
- Near Desk – you become a member and have access to many co-working spaces in London, the South-West and Home Counties
- Mozilla Space London, WC2N – Open work environments aimed at hackers and coders
- O2 Workhshop, Tottenham Court Road, London – Walk-in workspace for 75 people at the O2 shop
- Skyline offices, London – Concierge Service that helps you find suitable business space and then run it